Monday, September 12, 2005

Left to Right or Right to Left?

We're at a bit of a standstill with the lace scarf here. I've managed the first 11 rows fairly successfully I think, but when it came time to turn to the chart I find myself stuck. They tell me that the chart only shows odd rows and that I'm to knit the odd rows from right to left and then when I reach the middle marker to reverse my reading of the chart for the second half of the start and read from left to right. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Well it doesn't if this is your first lace chart ever. The chart looks like it shows the whole row so I can't figure out why I can't just knit from left to right or right to left the whole way across. I'm beginning to suspect that it means knit from left to right to the middle of the chart row and then just knit the mirror image. If that's the case, why show me the whole row in the chart picture? And I don't even know what's going to happen with all the stitch markers I've got to place around the repeats. They supposedly move from left on the first half of the scarf to the right for the second half.

5 minutes later...

Ok, I think I have it all wrong. I think chart really does show the full first half of the row (even though it's deceivingly triangular in depiction) and I just do a big U-turn at the end of the row and knit backwards to complete the second half. If that makes sense. I hope I don't have to rip this out and start over again more than six times. Lord help me.

No comments: